Pr. January 1, it will no longer be possible for companies to purchase or renew their licenses through the Microsoft Open License program! The Microsoft Open License program was created over 20 years ago for small and medium-sized businesses to purchase multiple “perpetual” software licenses at a volume price. Microsoft is taking an important step to simplify licensing by introducing persistent software licensing through the new trading experience as part of their Partner Solution Provider program. It will still be possible for all types of companies to purchase new licenses or renew their existing licenses through the Open License program until December 31, 2021. You can read Microsoft’s announcement here. This means that from 1 January 2022, it will no longer be possible to purchase these licenses directly through the program. Small and medium-sized customers will benefit from a simplified approach and greater flexibility in how to purchase software licenses in an easy-to-understand way that directly improves asset management and at predictable cost.
What options do I have?
If you have Software Assurance coverage through the Open License program, you have several options:
- Your Software Assurance Period, including benefits, will continue until its expiration, even if it expires after December 31, 2021.
- The Microsoft Open Value program is recommended for future purchases that include Software Assurance.
- The Microsoft Open Value subscription program does not offer perpetual software licenses, but is a lower cost subscription that provides you rights to use the software during the agreement and also includes Software Assurance.
If you have online services through the Open License Program, you have the following options:
- Any unused “tokens” for online services may still be assigned and used, even after December 31, 2021, provided they occur within the five-year period of “token purchases”.
- To purchase additional online service subscriptions, you can work with a partner in the Cloud Solution Provider program to purchase online service subscriptions, or you can purchase additional online service “tokens” through Open Value program or the Open Value subscription program or from the Microsoft Store.
So how do I renew my licenses now?
To simplify the process and enable Microsoft license users to get more support on the software they use, Microsoft has decided that these licenses can only be purchased or renewed through certified Cloud Solution Providers. Please note you continue to have full rights and access to all perpetual software licenses acquired through the Open License Program. All of this means that in the future, companies, public or private will purchase or renew their licenses through an authorized provider. Fortunately you do not need to wait long, as Automize is of course authorized to offer both new licenses and renew existing licenses.
When should I decide?
Microsoft writes that you can still buy and renew licenses through the program until the end of 2021, however, Automize recommends that you start planning a discussion with a Microsoft certified Cloud Solution Provider (CSP) right now. In future, you will only be able to purchase and renew your licenses through these CSPs.
Want to know more
If you are interested in reading more about our competencies, you can click here and see a complete list of all the areas that we are specialists in and have many years of experience. If you would like to contact us instead to hear what we can do for your company, you can do so here.